Declaring Stocks and Bonds on Swiss Tax Returns

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Do I have to declare shares and bonds which I own when filling out my tax returns? If so, can I get statements from my custodian bank (in this case my broker)? Where can I download or request these statements?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Stock, bonds and other securities (including cryptocurrencies and blockchain tokens), precious metals, and other assets must be included in your wealth tax return.

The Swiss Federal Tax Administration publishes the official year end prices of major exchange-traded securities. It also publishes official year-end prices of major cryptocurrencies. These can be found online or can be requested from the tax office. If you use your cantons tax software, the official year-end prices are typically filled in automatically when you enter the title of the security.

If you hold many different types of securities, it may be helpful to obtain an account statement from your broker. Some brokers make these available for download on their online trading platforms. Some brokers charge fees for these statements, or charge for printed statements sent by post. Brokers may provide detailed account statements for tax purposes, but the fees charged for these can be quite high. You can find statement fees listed on the info pages corresponding to brokers in the online trading comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• Status Member
  • Beiträge2142

Hi everyone,

I own French stocks which I declared on the DA-1 last year. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to claim the French withholding tax back.

Should I declare stocks on the WV form in the future, since I wasn’t able to get the withholding tax back? Or was I right in using the DA-1 form in spite of this?

The amount in question is CHF 3300 in stock dividends, of which the French government took CHF 1000 in tax. After the withholding tax I got CHF 2300 which I need to pay tax on.

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Answers
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/22/18
  • Beiträge103

DA-1 = Application for the reimbursement of part of the dividends which could not be reclaimed from the foreign tax authority. This is definitely worth it if the dividends have to be taxed in Switzerland.

You can claim 15% reimbursement for French stocks (so CHF 495 in your case) using the DA-1 form. As for the rest, if you aren't willing to put in effort you can either forget getting it back. Otherwise, try your luck with the French tax authorities.

• Status Member
  • Beiträge2142

Thank you for the reply. I will continue using DA-1 in that case.

I am willing to put in effort, but I've kind of given up on it. I already filed the request for reimbursement with the French tax authorities twice, and they just returned applications unprocessed after 3/4 of a year. If I understand it correctly, I am missing a confirmation of the location of the shares, and I haven't been able to get this. My custodian bank does not offer a reimbursement service.

If you have advice on how to solve this issue, I would be happy to try again
:)

Best regards