Swiss whithholding tax when hiring a maid

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

We want to hire a maid since we don't have time to do the washing up. We found someone willing to work for a good price, but I have been wondering how the taxes would work since she is a foreign national. Would we as her employers have to deduct withholding tax from her salary? I would rather not have to bother with all that admin if I don't have to.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4016

Greetings,

In Switzerland, employers of household employees are required to hold a 5% withholding tax from salaries which are eligible for social security deductions. This applies to employers of all household employees, even if the employee in question is a Swiss citizen.

It is also worth noting that household employees like maids and babysitters are required to pay social security contributions regardless of how low their annual income is.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Forum: Social security contributions for babysitters
Forum: Social security contributions for au pairs
Forum: Social security contributions for odd jobs